Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vectorplexus.com is at https://vectorplexis.com until further notice. ×
  • Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jorrob96

How I Refit Armors

Since I've been gone for 95 years and aren't sure when I'll have the chance to get back into refits I figure the next best thing is showing how I make them.

1. Open both the folder of the thing you're refitting, and the character assets folder (Skyrim\Data\Meshes\actors\character\character assets). Keep them open for the duration of the refit. Open Outfit Studio and load both malebody (whichever weight you prefer) and the armor/clothing you want to refit (the same weight as malebody). For this example, I'm using Newermind43's ESO Nord Armor at weight 0.

2. Right click SAMBody, and set it as reference.

image.thumb.png.138a75f07440f788c8061159d06f51f2.png

3. Go to slider on the menu bar, then go down to import tri morphs. Import malebody.tri from the character assets folder. Click yes on the prompt.

image.thumb.png.0a27978474245396de1023c30c5e82cc.png

4. Click the pencil icon to the left of the Samson/Samuel sliders (either or works) to edit slider data. Select all the armor pieces under meshes, then press control + c (or go to slider > conform selected). After a second or two you'll notice whichever slider you chose is at 0 and still purple. Slide it all the way over. 99% of the time, there will be some clipping. Use the increase/decrease mesh and mask vertex tools to fix it or to edit the morphs however you please. If you have clipping under the armpit, don't worry about that right now.

5. Once you're done, click the pencil icon again. Go up to slider, down to export tri morphs, and save the tri in the folder of whatever you're refitting. For organization I save it with the same name as the nif file so they're next to each other (cuirass.tri if I'm editing cuirass_1 for example). This tri morph only contains slider data for the armor. Press control + w to close the project.

6. Repeat the first step of the tutorial by importing malebody, then the armor into outfit studio. Don't set it to reference (which was step two). Import malebody.tri. If you had armpit clipping, use the mask vertex tool to mask the visible parts of SAMBody. Or if your armor has more visible body than covered, mask the covered parts and then press control + shift + i to inverse the selection. Don't do this hastily as you want to make a clean selection you remember so doing this for the other malebody weight will be easy. Then right click SAMBody, and delete vertices.

image.thumb.png.f4f9780f0dbde96e3ea41dc3ef312aa8.png

7. Now import the armor tri you exported in step 5. Click yes on the pop up. Now you have slider data for the body AND the armor. Export the tri morph again and overwrite the old one in the outfit folder. Don't close the project yet. 

8. Right click SAMBody, then go down to properties. It will start you in the Shader tab, you want to click on Extra Data two over from that. Delete what's there in the value box and enter the path to the armor tri file within the meshes folder. In this specific example, I put NewerMind43\EsoNordArmor\Eso_Nord_Armor.tri into the value box. For most armors the format is "armor\folder name\tri_file.tri". Make sure you're putting a back slash and not a forward slash (something I've done on accident a couple times).

image.png.f97663ff44e711e91eaedef508ec3b95.png

9. Go to file, export, "to nif...", and save over the outfit you just refit. Now you have a refitted armor for one weight.

Refitting the armor for the other weight will take time depending on how cleanly/precisely you deleted parts of the sam mesh (if you did delete any part). Typically since my armors are skimpy the armpit isn't an issue, so I can just put the other weight sam body and the other weight armor into Outfit Studio and do steps 8 and 9

Author

woah that's crazy. I've been doing my refits completely different from this. So you don't need to use rebol or bodymorph or any of that jazz with this method? I've got to try this out!

Author of the topic Posted
1 hour ago, LuckyHarris said:

woah that's crazy. I've been doing my refits completely different from this. So you don't need to use rebol or bodymorph or any of that jazz with this method? I've got to try this out!

When I first started refitting armors it was back in November when the tools weren't available so I just found a way through experimenting and it's been trial and error up to this point where I found an efficient method lol. 

Author
15 minutes ago, KouLeifoh said:

Keep in mind that the morph files (.tri) exported by Outfit Studio use compression and are not supported by BodyMorph.

ah, this explains why they were blank when I tried to open them with bodymorph to check them out. I was actually thinking I fucked it up

Author

Is there some kind of trick to chopping the bodies? I have not been able to successfully match the vertices even once. The closest I've come is my most recent attempt, where there is only a two vertice difference between the two bodes I cut, but I'm just completely unable to pinpoint where the difference is.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, LuckyHarris said:

Is there some kind of trick to chopping the bodies? I have not been able to successfully match the vertices even once. The closest I've come is my most recent attempt, where there is only a two vertice difference between the two bodes I cut, but I'm just completely unable to pinpoint where the difference is.

You could open two instances of bodyslide/outfit studio up and look at the models in the triangle view by clicking the eye twice.

5 hours ago, Kirax said:

Do you get 2 .tri files for each weight file this way?

no, it would still only be one.

4 minutes ago, Jamesalexian said:

I followed this and it worked perfectly until the second weight. When I checked the sliders on it, the whole body went nuts.

I was just wondering how you get the other weight to work.

probably means the vertex count isn't the same as what's in the tri file, I assume.

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

probably means the vertex count isn't the same as what's in the tri file, I assume.

Thanks to this thread and you telling me where my error was, I have successfully refitted my first piece of armor.

Author
2 hours ago, Cyrus said:

no, it would still only be one.

Sorry I wasn't asking very clearly. Following this tutorial I assume you get a .tri file for each weight? With the slider data of that weight's gear and sambody in it? So wouldn't it be 2 .tri file for each weight?

32 minutes ago, Kirax said:

Sorry I wasn't asking very clearly. Following this tutorial I assume you get a .tri file for each weight? With the slider data of that weight's gear and sambody in it? So wouldn't it be 2 .tri file for each weight?

No, after you have the tri file from doing the _0, you don't need to make another (so you can skip the first 5 steps for the _1.)

All you need to do for the second weight is import the body_1, import the outfit_1, import the tri file that you made earlier, make any necessary adjustments, and export the nif.

If you've sliced the body up for the _0, you need to slice it the same way in the _1 before you import the tri and make adjustments.

Author
On 8/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, LuckyHarris said:

For the purpose of using in Outfit Studio, I would create a morph of the base body from weight 1 to weight 0 and add that to the .tri along with the Samson/Samuel morphs in BodyMorph.  You only have to chop the weight 1 body and Outfit Studio will automatically remove them from the morph data.  To get the weight 0 body from the chopped weight 1 body, just set its slider to 100%, then File -> export to .nif.  It'll export the body with the weight 0 morph applied.

To clear some confusion, Samson/Samuel morphs are deltas from weight 1.  The guide above alludes to using weight 0 as the base.  This can work if you rebuild the morphs with weight 1 as the base.  Deltas from weight 0 to Samson/Samuel are not the same as deltas from weight 1 to Samson/Samuel.

Author
3 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

For the purpose of using in Outfit Studio, I would create a morph of the base body from weight 1 to weight 0 and add that to the .tri along with the Samson/Samuel morphs in BodyMorph.  You only have to chop the weight 1 body and Outfit Studio will automatically remove them from the morph data.  To get the weight 0 body from the chopped weight 1 body, just set its slider to 100%, then File -> export to .nif.  It'll export the body with the weight 0 morph applied.

To clear some confusion, Samson/Samuel morphs are deltas from weight 1.  The guide above alludes to using weight 0 as the base.  This can work if you rebuild the morphs with weight 1 as the base.  Deltas from weight 0 to Samson/Samuel are not the same as deltas from weight 1 to Samson/Samuel.

I see. I understand everything except that first bit. How do you go about making the morph for the base body and setting up the tri in BodyMorph?

Or perhaps, if it is too much trouble to go into, you might have an example of the finished .tri that I could look at and figure out what should've been done

Author
5 hours ago, LuckyHarris said:

I see. I understand everything except that first bit. How do you go about making the morph for the base body and setting up the tri in BodyMorph?

Or perhaps, if it is too much trouble to go into, you might have an example of the finished .tri that I could look at and figure out what should've been done

It's the same as the old guide for refits.  Use Nifskope to export the SAMBody mesh to .obj for both _1 and _0.  Use Rebol to generate deltas from _1 to _0.  Then add the deltas to .tri with BodyMorph.

I attached a reference morph that you can use to see how the sliders work for SAMBody.  It can be opened in BodyMorph and applied to the SAMBody mesh in Outfit Studio.  It's important to note that the vertex count from weight 1 to Samson/Samuel is different than the morphs involving weight 0 due to the fact that the neck vertices do not change.

malebodyREF.tri

Author
1 hour ago, KouLeifoh said:

It's the same as the old guide for refits.  Use Nifskope to export the SAMBody mesh to .obj for both _1 and _0.  Use Rebol to generate deltas from _1 to _0.  Then add the deltas to .tri with BodyMorph.

I attached a reference morph that you can use to see how the sliders work for SAMBody.  It can be opened in BodyMorph and applied to the SAMBody mesh in Outfit Studio.  It's important to note that the vertex count from weight 1 to Samson/Samuel is different than the morphs involving weight 0 due to the fact that the neck vertices do not change.

malebodyREF.tri

Ohh, now I get it. No idea why I blanked like that...

Anyway, thanks a ton! This will make things way easier.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:45 PM, KouLeifoh said:

malebodyREF.tri

Wow, that does seem extra complicated, but I guess its necessary for certain designs right?  I think im going to go with the whole body setup.  This makes me long for the alpha hiding system on SL bodies for hiding skin beneath clothes, but the mesh is not cut in theirs, just hidden.

So whats the consensus on the OP process? Is that not preferred in some cases?  It does seem a lot simpler!  But it looses some bodymorph capabilities?  My refits turned out a hot mess, so Im going to have to just keep trying this over and over until I learn the workflow better, its like a foreign land still lmao.   Is that PDF tutorial still the best source for me to learn off of? 

Author
1 hour ago, infiniteone said:

Wow, that does seem extra complicated, but I guess its necessary for certain designs right?  I think im going to go with the whole body setup.  This makes me long for the alpha hiding system on SL bodies for hiding skin beneath clothes, but the mesh is not cut in theirs, just hidden.

So whats the consensus on the OP process? Is that not preferred in some cases?  It does seem a lot simpler!  But it looses some bodymorph capabilities?  My refits turned out a hot mess, so Im going to have to just keep trying this over and over until I learn the workflow better, its like a foreign land still lmao.   Is that PDF tutorial still the best source for me to learn off of? 

The problem with the whole body setup is clipping.  I don't mind the extra work going into body splicing since certain parts of the body are hard to hide with weight painting.

The process in the OP is fine, but I would suggest using weight 1 instead if you're gonna export the .tri morphs directly.  If weight 1 has issues with the armpits, use weight 0, follow the guide, and then export the Samson/Samuel morphs as nif files.  Use the old guide to properly rebuild the morphs as deltas from weight 1.

10 minutes ago, KouLeifoh said:

The problem with the whole body setup is clipping.  I don't mind the extra work going into body splicing since certain parts of the body are hard to hide with weight painting.

The process in the OP is fine, but I would suggest using weight 1 instead if you're gonna export the .tri morphs directly.  If weight 1 has issues with the armpits, use weight 0, follow the guide, and then export the Samson/Samuel morphs as nif files.  Use the old guide to properly rebuild the morphs as deltas from weight 1.

That makes good sense, so one need not tweak the outfit as much and the wide range of weight settings will adjust easier.  I will have to just keep trying the process out and break it a ton of times to really figure it out.  Its a huge world of knowledge, but making things is so satisfying.  :)  I seriously wish most of these 3rd party apps were plugins made for Blender tho, its challenging picking up the nuances of the stack and workflow.  You guys are all brilliant!

9 hours ago, smexivan said:

For some reason, Outfit Studio gives me an error message every time I try to load malebody.tri in step 3. What I doing wrong?

You have to downgrade your Outfit Studio from 4.6.2 to 4.6.0.

The latest OS changes the way of handling .tri morph, so this workaround only works til v 4.6.0.

Check the following relevant forum: