Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vectorplexus.com is at https://vectorplexis.com until further notice. ×
  • Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

KouLeifoh

SAM high poly feet mesh

Author

My original intention was to increase the poly count and smooth the SAM feet mesh to fix some normal map issues by using texture baking.  I managed to create a usable version of the high poly mesh in-game and decided to share it as is.  Morphs for Samson/Samuel were added, but I haven't personally tested them.  Weights 0-100 work fine, so the morphs should work as well.  Consider this as a test for the time being since there are still some fine tuning needed.  The difference might not be that noticeable in general gameplay, but the increased mesh detail is there (easily seen on the toes and heels in the screenshot below using my unfinished custom textures).

samfeet0.thumb.jpg.eeb3b5df4def95f222a1c1b10084aa77.jpg

samfeet1.thumb.jpg.fad3cd79d52b8fe74242367fc54245ae.jpg

SAMFeet High Poly test.zip

Author
12 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

My original intention was to increase the poly count and smooth the SAM feet mesh to fix some normal map issues by using texture baking.  I managed to create a usable version of the high poly mesh in-game and decided to share it as is.  Morphs for Samson/Samuel were added, but I haven't personally tested them.  Weights 0-100 work fine, so the morphs should work as well.  Consider this as a test for the time being since there are still some fine tuning needed.  The difference might not be that noticeable in general gameplay, but the increased mesh detail is there (easily seen on the toes and heels in the screenshot below using my unfinished custom textures).

Omg.... you really hero bro. Thanks so much. 

Author

I really need better textures for feet. This is default sam feet textures. I change sam hand to skysight including textures patch. But i don't know what alternative for feet since the shape different with skysight feet.

sam feet.jpg

Edited by Don

Author
Author of the topic Posted
6 hours ago, Don said:

I really need better textures for feet. This is default sam feet textures. I change sam hand to skysight including textures patch. But i don't know what alternative for feet since the shape different with skysight feet.

You have to keep in mind that SAM's default normal maps will also make the feet look "dirty".  As mentioned in the first post, I used the high poly model to bake a smooth normal map while fixing some seams at the same time.  To show the visual difference, I made a quick edit of the feet texture in photoshop to clean it up a bit (and applied my skin pore template that i created for my own custom textures).  SAM uses 11 normal maps for each texture set.  So, it'll be tedious to edit all of them.

feet00.jpg.63e4aab0f67ab30898a8b7713fcbe47c.jpgfeet01.jpg.030857929675ab4ae38071186bb53e85.jpgfeet02a.thumb.jpg.bb0a313fc5c3fa8d754b5ab38ebf50e1.jpg

Admin

@KouLeifoh Those look amazing, thank you very much.

SAM body is great, but feet were something that bothered me quite a bit all this time. The only thing that's slightly off IMO is nail definition. They feel more like an extension of skin right now instead of being a separate entity.

I realize it is tiresome to edit all the texture sets, given the number of normals SAM utilizes, but I really look forward to seeing your mod in the Downloads.
Judging by the responses in the thread apparently I'm not the only one. :)

Cheers,
sh1ny

Author

The texture space used for the nails is small already.  There's definately room for improvement.  The idea of making a separate mesh for the nails did cross my mind, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.  I'll consider looking into experimenting with that later.

Improving and enhancing SAM's default textures is a small side project of mine albeit a low priority.  I started with upscaling the diffuse textures to 4k and applying my skin pore template on top of it.  These screenshots are taken with the resulting textures along with my custom normal + specular + subsurface maps.

newfeet.thumb.jpg.7cb68e36fcb6b2d28292905fab48b327.jpgnewsam.thumb.jpg.84ff0cf03d27131ae1928948edc671c7.jpg

Author
19 hours ago, Darnexx said:

But I've noticed that some NPC's kinda random have black feet.. O.o

That might be due to the Consistency Flag CT_STATIC on the mesh.  I forgot to set it to CT_MUTABLE.

While working on the feet meshes, I've noticed that they don't match on the vertex level.  The right foot is slightly smaller and has a higher heel.  It's something I can no longer unsee. O.o

Once I'm satisifed with the high poly body and hand meshes to complete the set (and make a proper download), I'll see if I can fix the feet to make them symmetrical.

Author
1 hour ago, KouLeifoh said:

That might be due to the Consistency Flag CT_STATIC on the mesh.  I forgot to set it to CT_MUTABLE.

While working on the feet meshes, I've noticed that they don't match on the vertex level.  The right foot is slightly smaller and has a higher heel.  It's something I can no longer unsee. O.o

Once I'm satisifed with the high poly body and hand meshes to complete the set (and make a proper download), I'll see if I can fix the feet to make them symmetrical.

Alright. Nothing I can't live with. :) Can't wait to see that full set, omg :D

Author

Don't expect anything dramatic.  The edges are overall more smooth.  It still comes down to texture quality if you want a much more noticeable difference.

fullbody.thumb.jpg.fb99afc919e2d1d5093046f5a704898b.jpg

This is the full high poly body with high poly hand and feet meshes (head mesh is high poly too, but I didn't create it).  Screenshot was taken in 4k and cropped.  The full outline of the hand mesh is hard to see, but I'll take a better screenshot once I'm ready to release the full set.  I still want to add toenail (and possibly fingernail) meshes.

Author

toenail.thumb.jpg.f59dc2c47a04c8e0ed5ee2d601436e65.jpgfingernail.thumb.jpg.d6087049f3ff16ca778a08ea1149b220.jpg

Here's a preview of what the toenail and fingernail meshes currently look like.  The textures aren't finished yet.  I might have to redo the fingernails since they do look a bit thin.

2 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

toenail.thumb.jpg.f59dc2c47a04c8e0ed5ee2d601436e65.jpgfingernail.thumb.jpg.d6087049f3ff16ca778a08ea1149b220.jpg

Here's a preview of what the toenail and fingernail meshes currently look like.  The textures aren't finished yet.  I might have to redo the fingernails since they do look a bit thin.

That's crazy attention to detail.. just brilliant! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.. I've always thought of having 3D finger/toe nails.. I'm a whore for detail

Hi, 

I used to create hi-poly feet with hi-res textures for Sam in ladymoiraine's times...

In the first version I simply increased the poly count and changed the shape a bit to give the feet a thinner look.

The second was remade from scratch, including the textures. The result was so-so because this was my first serious attempt at 3d modelling...but still I like it.

Do you want me to share it with you ? Might help you in your efforts. I love what you're doing with the nails btw.

Author
19 hours ago, mojito817 said:

Hi, 

I used to create hi-poly feet with hi-res textures for Sam in ladymoiraine's times...

In the first version I simply increased the poly count and changed the shape a bit to give the feet a thinner look.

The second was remade from scratch, including the textures. The result was so-so because this was my first serious attempt at 3d modelling...but still I like it.

Do you want me to share it with you ? Might help you in your efforts. I love what you're doing with the nails btw.

Thanks, but I have it all covered through trial and error.  I figured out how to keep the vertex count and order the same across all feet meshes.  This allowed me to modify the feet mesh for each weight/morph without having to redo them from a single mesh.  To make the feet symmetrical, I had to delete the right foot mesh, mirror the left foot mesh, and manually adjust the vertices/uv for seams.  As for the high poly conversion, I converted the triangles into quads and then applied NURMS subdivision to increase poly count and smooth the mesh while keeping the basic shapes of the ankles and heels.

As of right now, the feet mesh itself is finished.  The toenails still need texture work.  I need to fix the uv and generate a model space normal map.  The high poly body is pretty much done and the hands need to be redone since the fingers ended up looking more like noodles than actual fingers.  I want to package them in a single release rather than constantly update them as I go.

10 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

Thanks, but I have it all covered through trial and error.  I figured out how to keep the vertex count and order the same across all feet meshes.  This allowed me to modify the feet mesh for each weight/morph without having to redo them from a single mesh.  To make the feet symmetrical, I had to delete the right foot mesh, mirror the left foot mesh, and manually adjust the vertices/uv for seams.  As for the high poly conversion, I converted the triangles into quads and then applied NURMS subdivision to increase poly count and smooth the mesh while keeping the basic shapes of the ankles and heels.

As of right now, the feet mesh itself is finished.  The toenails still need texture work.  I need to fix the uv and generate a model space normal map.  The high poly body is pretty much done and the hands need to be redone since the fingers ended up looking more like noodles than actual fingers.  I want to package them in a single release rather than constantly update them as I go.

Nice job ! I remember I had the exact same troubles.

The TRI files were also a nightmare, creating gaps or texture distortion above the ankle with some morphs. The key was to keep the same mesh for the part joining the foot and the leg.

For the textures, if I remember correctly (it was 2 years ago), i asked Hymnaru to use his 3MW textures. The feet look much cleaner and detailed with those. But himself worked with someone else who took care of the feet part (a girl, don't remember her name) and I had to ask her the permission. She kindly accepted.Maybe you could try the same ?

For the UV, if you don't change the mesh on the ankle like I said, you shouldn't have any seam. You probably know this, but for the best results you should base your UV on a mesh with even more polygons and create details in it like tendrils on the toes or ripples on the soles. Gives you a more detailed foot without performance hit.

Here are the results I obtained :

5ac07ed7de9dc_enb2016_04_0711_20_23_82.thumb.jpg.31a0a228ddfdc2f3d344e967657358c0.jpg5ac07ed6213ab_enb2016_04_0711_20_08_54.thumb.jpg.8c8e919f717996ee8ebb986ff6ab69d1.jpg

5ac07ed362daf_enb2016_04_0711_17_06_25.thumb.jpg.d5f2c6862dfe3e5c358667ea5665e9a4.jpg

I was not too happy with the soles but the rest didn't look too bad.

Can't wait to see your final results ! Keep up the good work...

Author

You may have misunderstood me.  When I refer to the uv, I'm referring to the texture mapping on the mesh, not the actual texture itself.  The seam issue is from the original mesh.  If you look at the original mesh closely, you'll notice that the left and right feet aren't the same.  To correct this, I mirrored the left foot to replace the right foot.  In doing so, the uv changed, hence the seam issue.  The uv for the left foot when mirrored is not an exact match to the right foot.  I had to overlay it with the original right foot uv as a guide and manually snapped the vertices of the new right foot uv in place to create a 1:1 match.  Once I made this symmetrical feet mesh as a usable working base (which will be included as an option in the final package), I proceeded with my high poly conversion.

As far as uv changes during subdivision goes, I made it so the original uv didn't change.  The additional vertices were simply added to it.  This keeps the mesh compatible with all texture mods.  The method you're alluding to is using detailed textures to compensate for a low poly mesh.  This is something I heavily use on my own custom textures.

The scope of this mod is to simply provide a high poly, smooth mesh to use.  The original textures were untouched.  The optional nails will be using their own texture set.  Personally, the only SAM texture I use is the normal map for the genitals.  Everything else is either custom made or from a different source.  Some other players may be in the same boat.  So, I want to keep compatiblity as high as possible. ^_^