Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vectorplexus.com is at https://vectorplexis.com until further notice. ×
  • Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dredd

Werewolf loadscreenart crash

Author

About a year ago, I encountered a crash when I entered Whiterun and Crash Fixes displayed a message box telling me that loadscreenwerewolf.nif was the last loaded object. I eventually realised that this file is part of SAM and hiding it in MO solved the crash. I didn't think much of it back then, but I decided to do some testing on it today and came to following conclusion.

The file in question is located at "<SAM Core>/meshes/loadscreenart/loadscreenwerewolf.nif". I have absolutely no clue how the logic works that decides which loadscreenart gets displayed when, so in order to force the game to load this specific mesh, I replaced the most commonly seen loadscreenart meshes with this one and kept entering and exiting Whiterun.

The mesh in itself appears to work perfectly fine with nothing but SAM and the bare minimum of mods installed (USLEEP and Racemenu). It loaded several times without crashing.

However,  if the mod Moonlight Tales Essentials is installed along with SAM, the mesh crashes the game for me. The patch provided on SAM's main download page appears to have no impact on this.

Here's the report from Crash fixes:

707663754_werewolfcrash.JPG.40391b8f1b924302264ca9135b0062e9.JPG

The report says "loadscreenwhiterunshield.nif", which is one of the meshes I replaced with the werewolf mesh to make the mesh more likely to be loaded.

So, my conclusion: If you have Moonlight Tales installed, hide or delete the loadscreenart folder in SAM Core.

The SAM patch for Moonlight Tales is only valid for Moonlight Tales Essential it seems to me.

On my side I do not have any problem with Moonlight tales. I install SAM over and overwrite Moonlight Tales files when by those of SAM when asked.

Author
Author of the topic Posted
1 hour ago, Etan said:

The SAM patch for Moonlight Tales is only valid for Moonlight Tales Essential it seems to me.

On my side I do not have any problem with Moonlight tales. I install SAM over and overwrite Moonlight Tales files when by those of SAM when asked.

Sorry, my testing was in fact done with Moonlight Tales Essentials. I linked to the wrong version in my post (googled Moonlight Tales and copied the first link that came up, bad choice on my part). The mesh crashes the game consistently as long as both SAM Core and Moonlight Tales Essentials are installed. Esp load order has no impact, either.

There are loads of loadscreenart assets and expansions such as Bruma add even more. It is very possible to play Skyrim for ages without ever seeing a werewolf on the loading screen. But once the mesh is in the rotation, you're a little screwed.

Author
Author of the topic Posted
7 minutes ago, Darnexx said:

I run SAM and the Moonlight Mod + Patch, I never had a CTD in Whiterun because of that.. :o 

It doesn't have to be in Whiterun, the werewolf loadscreen object could be used by the game any time it displays a loading screen with an object on it. As I said, I don't know why nor when a loadscreenart asset is picked and there are plenty of assets for the game to choose from, so this can fly under anyone's radar. So, my question would be: when was the last time you have seen a Werewolf on the loading screen? Also, without the Crash Fixes message, it looks like just another random CTD on loading. Happens, right?

Also, the actual werewolf mechanics are in no way affected by this; it's really just that one mesh being loaded on a loading screen once every blue moon.

Author
9 minutes ago, Dredd said:

It doesn't have to be in Whiterun, the werewolf loadscreen object could be used by the game any time it displays a loading screen with an object on it. As I said, I don't know why nor when a loadscreenart asset is picked and there are plenty of assets for the game to choose from, so this can fly under anyone's radar. So, my question would be: when was the last time you have seen a Werewolf on the loading screen? Also, without the Crash Fixes message, it looks like just another random CTD on loading. Happens, right?

Also, the actual werewolf mechanics are in no way affected by this; it's really just that one mesh being loaded on a loading screen once every blue moon.

It's not that long ago when I saw it, and I did not crash after it. So maybe this can happen random, maybe ya crash ,maybe not. 

Have you become part of the Companions and accept the gift of werevolves? that happen to me when i become part of the companions and accept the gift. my temporary solution it was not accept the werewolf and also i think if you delete  loadscreenwerewolf.nif this coul be a solution but i never test it.