Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vectorplexus.com is at https://vectorplexis.com until further notice. ×
  • Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

polary

Editing Male Normal Maps (.msn files)

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to modding and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to edit .msn files (normal maps) such as this: 

I want to make the muscles more defined and "pop out", is there a way to do this? Any programs you guys use?

Thanks in advance for any help

MaleBody_1_msn.jpg

Author

It's difficult to manually edit these types of textures since they're generated from 3D Modeling programs..  Each color channel represents how light/shadow reacts on the model when light hits the model in a specfic direction.  Sharpening the transitions between light and shadow should achieve the effect you want.

Author of the topic Posted
5 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

It's difficult to manually edit these types of textures since they're generated from 3D Modeling programs..  Each color channel represents how light/shadow reacts on the model when light hits the model in a specfic direction.  Sharpening the transitions between light and shadow should achieve the effect you want.

Thanks so much for the reply!
What programs could I use to sharpen transitions between light and shadow, is the the "Curves/exposure" tool?

Author

Any decent image editor that can import/export .dds files will do.  I'd imagine Gimp should work.  My program of choice is Photoshop.

This is an example of what sharpening can do to the normal map (original on the left, sharpened abs on the right).

sharpen.thumb.jpg.1e439d72941cc9cecc1604546f02acc1.jpg

In Photoshop, I used the lasso tool to make a soft selection around the abs and then used the smart sharpen filter to have control over the result.  Since the texture has skin pores, sharpening will darken the pores (essentially creating noise).  It's best to only sharpen specific areas to avoid creating texture seams due to noise.  Results will vary depending on texture.

Author
21 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

Any decent image editor that can import/export .dds files will do.  I'd imagine Gimp should work.  My program of choice is Photoshop.

This is an example of what sharpening can do to the normal map (original on the left, sharpened abs on the right).

sharpen.thumb.jpg.1e439d72941cc9cecc1604546f02acc1.jpg

In Photoshop, I used the lasso tool to make a soft selection around the abs and then used the smart sharpen filter to have control over the result.  Since the texture has skin pores, sharpening will darken the pores (essentially creating noise).  It's best to only sharpen specific areas to avoid creating texture seams due to noise.  Results will vary depending on texture.

Upload that sharpened bro. XD XD. 

Author
9 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

It just won't be compatible with the updated version I've been working on. xD

Glad you keep update the mod bro. Let's make our sam more gorgeous. Lead on thane....i'm right behind you. XD